Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Little girl from Finland

Today as I was sitting outside my house a little girl with an older woman passed by. I didn't give much attention as I understood that they were foreigners. They walked by my house once more and they stood waiting for something. They looked a little lost and the little girl, as cute as a button and not more that 7 years old, asked to use the phone. I gave her my mobile and she began to press the numbers and then stopped. I asked her if she wanted some help and she told me that she wasn't quiet sure of the number. When I looked at the number it was an international number and I asked her who she was trying to contact. She said that she wished to call her mother and I asked her where her mother was and she said in Emba and she even gave me the address. I told her that the international no. was not where her mother was going to be found if she was in Cyprus and asked her if she knew her mother's mobile. She did not and was starting to get a little worried. I told her not to me afraid that we would find her mother and I wrote down the address and called Avgi a local official who used to do the post rounds.

Avgi was very helpful of course and we soon found the little girls house. I took them to the house asap and met her mother. The little girl asked whether I wanted money. I felt a little bad then, but I knew that this was a sign of the times, when a small girl was so aware that everything revolved around money. It seems that in her world there was very little else. Where was kindness, where was thoughfulness, where was wanting to help someone in need without taking anything in return. I felt very bad when I realised that this is how many people see other people. It seems that money does really talk even to our little people of 7 years of age.

Anyway I tried to ignore her remark and told her that I only wanted to say hello to her mother. Her mother was obviously in distress as she was standing outside her door and waiting for her little girl and as soon as she saw us she rushed out and hugged me. It was a lovely moment. I felt that I should not lose touch as these people obviously did not know the language and may need help once more. It's not about the money as I expect nothing. Its about showing people that even in these very exciting and changing times our example can help the little people be more giving, loving and humane............

Posted by Soula 22.4.2009

No comments: